Saturday, May 9, 2015

PURNA EXPRESS - PUNE TO THALASSERY - 2007

It was the Onam season in 2007. I was in Pune. I had a sleeper ticket to Thalassery booked by an agent . My reservation was not confirmed. He however gave me a number to be contacted. He assured me of some jugad (adjustment). The first thing I did after reaching Pune from Ahmednagar was to call that person. He told he was working it out with the ticket examiner (TT as they are called) and will text me the seat details once it's confirmed. He also told me that I will have to give an additional Rs100/- which was not mentioned by my agent. Before I could tell him anything, he disconnected the call. He din't sound convincing but I had made up my mind to travel, come what may! I din't want to miss the Onam and a relative's wedding.

After dinner I reached the station. My train was already stationed. But there was no light.   So I got busy calling home and friends to update the status.  I received a text message, "S9-48". Woh! It was a pleasant surprise. I rushed to S9. It was absolute darkness. With the help of mobile I found seat number 48. While I was trying to push my luggage under the seat, a man tripped om my bag and fell flat behind me.I heard a female screaming. I turned my mobile. In the screen light ,I saw a frightened red face.

Thus a few strong torch lights reached us. It was the Railway police. They started kicking and beating up the man who was down. Only then I noticed the handcuff. I was shit scared of the scene. But when one policeman thanked me, I found it difficult to control my laughter. I pretended to be more concerned about the poor girl who was witness to all this. I acted very courageous in front of her, I even felt like doing something to impress her like they do in Bollywood movies. By the time all these thoughts were crossing my mind that hunk of a man was dragged out of the compartment by the police.

Once the scene eased I asked the girl 'Pedichu poyo?' (were you scared?).  From her curly oily hair and the way she was dressed I just concluded that she was a Malayali Manka (Kerala beauty) . She just smiled and then asked me 'onnum pateelallo?' (are you ok?). She too thought that the guy hit me and fell. Well I dint clarify either! I was like, these things keeps happening to me on a daily basis.
Then the light came.
Me: Where are you going?
She: Vadakara
Me: I don't think this train stops there.
She: Yes I know, we will get down at Thalassery.
Before I could wonder who 'WE?', Her parents walked in.
Just by the look I understood that he is an Army man. I tried to smile at him, he went as if he dint notice that. Her mother gave a smile and then all of them settled down. She was at the window seat, mother next to her and father at the end near my seat.

Once settled, her mother asked 'Did you call Bayya, Shruthi'. Thanks to her mom. I got it. "Shruthi". Then there started the marathon phone calls, informing everyone about their journey. Then I saw the ticket inspector from far and went up to him. On giving him 100/- he asked for more, as it was Onam season and tickets were on huge demand. I told that I already paid extra to the agent. He wasn't so happy, but wrote the seat number in my ticket and asked me to settled down. By the time I returned, another person was sitting in the seat opposite to me. Her coupe was filled by another family (a lady and two sons). Both looked younger to me.

Just as the train started moving, the inspector came with another man aged around 40. Ticket Inspector asked me to adjust my berth with him.
Me : I have a ticket, then why should I be adjusting? (Those days I could understand Hindi but could not speak well)
TT : If you want to at least sit down, better do it. Or else I know what to do.
Seeing all these, Sruthi's dad : What is the problem?
TT : People come inside with out any confirmed tickets, still I try to help them thinking that they are only my kid's age. Now you see when I try to help somebody else they try to teach me rules. (I was sure that he was helping him as he paid more)
He then just walked away. Her father gave me a disgusted look.

By this time that person had settled down. He requested the gentleman opposite to my seat to move to his berth. He then sat opposite to my seat smiled at me and asked 'Tu kuthe jato ahes?'. I acted deaf and murmured 'Engotaayalum thanikentha?' by looking elsewhere. He again smiled at me and told 'Jeevithamthil ide ide ithupole adjustment oke zeyyendivarum'. This time I was PLING!!! 
Then I saw that Sruthi was noticing all these and was finding it hard to control her laugh.

Soon we became friendly. He was going to Kochi for some business purpose. He even offered a portion of his packed dinner, which I gracefully rejected. By the time he finished his dinner everyone were in their berths almost asleep.
Businessman: Its not wise to sit the whole night. Lets adjust and sleep. We can sleep crisscross, you be near the window. Or you may fall down. (I too felt that would be appropriate, as he was double my width)
Me : Ok
Businessman : I may snore tonight, please do not mind. If it is too much just disturb my sleep, please do not hesitate.

After about 40 minutes when I was getting some good sleep the snoring started. I just gave a slight push, which gave a relief for about 5 minutes. This repeated a couple of more times. Then those pushes were insufficient. I thought I could manage to ignore that and catch some sleep. It was just my over confidence. Then I unsuccessfully  tried waking him up. Finally when I realized that I was destined not to sleep that day, I tried sitting down. That itself was a tough task, getting out of the trap. When I made my way out, he was disturbed. But the snoring continued even louder. Then after all the struggle when I sat down, I noticed there was one more engine which made much more noise, Sruthi's dad. When I looked up there, there was one more soul in the middle berth who could not catch any sleep. She looked at me gave a smile and turned to other side. I dint know what to do that whole night. I wished I could play game in mobile but dint want to drain its battery. I felt like talking to someone or at least read something. I knew Sruthi was awake but never again she gave a look. But sadly I dint have the courage to initiate a chat at that time of the night, hence it became one of the longest night in my life!

Before sunrise we reached Solapure. But train never started from there. After about one hour of halt, Shruthi turned to me and asked the reason for the delay.I was waiting for this chance.I should find out I decided.  I got down and saw a group of people discussing something. When I inquired, they told that due to heavy rain some areas are flooded and rail is disrupted at some places ahead. We were asked to wait till everything is cleared. As I informed her about the delay her mother woke up with a worried face asking 'any idea about how long will it take?'. Which made me get down and roam around to try and collect some more information. No body had any clue though.

I returned to see her in daylight for the very first time . First and the most attractive thing I noticed was her eyes. She had bright brownish eyes and a very cute smile. Everyone except the businessman and the person on the top of my berth has woken up. Her dad was not seen in the coupe. The other lady asked me to sit in their seat along with her sons. She asked my whereabouts and also introduced herself and her kids. She was from Srilanka married to a person from Mangalore. Elder son was in 1st year of Engineering and younger one a +1 student. Then Sruthi's dad came back fully freshened up (even shaving) typical of a soldier.

Srilankan lady was such a jovial person full of energy. She was more like an elder sister to her kids. I asked her many questions about her country. I told her about my understanding that my cast has origins from Ceylon (today's Srilanka). Obviously was interested in knowing her love story. When asked she happily shared the experience, how they met during a train journey. It was her first train journey in India and how he helped her out in many ways during the journey. It was unbelievable that in 1985 he had the courage to propose her by the end of the journey! When she concluded her story I looked at Shruthi, who was a bit shy and passed a flashy look at me with the corner of her eye. (or was it just my imagination?)

Once I made calls home and informed about the delay, nature's call have started too. But I was determined not to use the toilets in a parked train nor had the courage to get down and use the waiting rooms in the station. Luckily before any damage was caused the train started to move. But then I realized that I dint manage the time at the station to have my break fast. Both the families had packed home food for breakfast. The Srilankan lady even offered me some sandwich, which I turned down by saying I had breakfast from Solapur station. Train was going at a slower speed than normal. It was very boring and I have finished couple of magazines which I had. Srilankan Lady started some embroidery work her kids dived deep into some books, Sruthi's dad slept in his berth her mother asked everything about me. She knew my mothers place and told me that she may be knowing my mother as well. Once Sruthi finished her magazine she asked me if we could exchange. I was not a big fan of those Malayalam women's magazines but for her I could give anything that time. Hence I gave my Filmfare. By then the sleepless night was taking its tall on me. Her mother advised me to sleep in the top berth, when she saw me yawning. I tried to sleep. But the hunger dint let me sleep.

At around 12 noon the train halted again. This time it was not in any station. The wait was getting long. Everyone started having their lunch. Smell of food specially that of chicken roll from the Srilankan family was killing! I just dint want to look down but could not resist. That lady was preparing chicken rolls. Once done she asked me to wash my hands and come. She dint even ask me if I wanted some. Even her kids invited me to join them. She offered me first when we arrived after washing our hands. I must say ''It was the best chicken roll I have ever had in my life''. Even now when I say this I mean it. Off course the hunger could have had an effect but I guess it was the motherly affection with which she prepared and gave me the roll which had the maximum influence in the taste. From then on I try to add that bit of affection to what ever I cook.

I noticed one thing during the journey so far that Shruthi was very active and talkative when ever her dad was out of the coupe or asleep and quite when he was around. How ever I dint like her being so friendly with the other two boys. They spoke in Marati. But I felt she was more interested in talking to me. (It may just be my feeling or just that I had more magazines with me) After a halt of more than 2 hours we resumed our journey. But the train was moving really slow. We were all anxiously waiting for the waterfall once we crossed Dudhsagar station. I was waiting with my new Motorazr to capture the waterfall. It was so intense that we literally crossed through the water. We dint have any time to shut the windows once we reached the bridge. Entire compartment had become wet.She and the younger boy were at the window seat and hence drenched in water. I could not stop laughing. Then they all started laughing at me. To my horror, I noticed a WET new Motorazr,

                                          Dudhsagar waterfalls

To see a video of Dhudsagar :   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bj1eVHttgE

Finally the train reached Thalassery 12 hours late. We (me and Sruthi's family),  got down at Thalassery. While we were in train,we had exchanged books several times. Each time I felt I should write my mobile number in her book. The thought of her dad kicking me out of the train prevented me from doing so. I was also stupid enough to expect her to write her number in my book, each time I gave her. Today when I think back, I wish I could capture that funniest moment when the water splashed on all of us. It would made this blog more interesting with that pic.

Each time I pass Dudhsagar, those funny images (which I missed to capture) flash through my mind. I have always searched for those brown eyes there and those curly hairs ...

Disclaimer: All characters in this story except me are just imaginary! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment